Welcome to another episode of The Tim Ferriss Show, where it is usually my job to deconstruct world-class performers to tease out the routines, habits, et cetera that you can apply to your own life.
This episode is something different. It’s an experimental format that I’m super excited about, and it’s back by popular demand.
This is an episode that scratches an itch I’ve had for years. I am not always able to listen to every great podcast episode out there, even when they are by some of my closest friends. The answer to my predicament was to ask them to send me a top segment from their podcast that I could listen to and—more importantly—also share with you, my dear listeners.
My team edited them together, and here we are! This episode is a compilation of 15-to-30–minute clips from some of the best podcasters—and also best interviewees—in the world and certainly some of my favorites.
At the beginning of each clip, you will hear an intro from the host and where to find their work and podcast. At the end, I’ll also share one or two of my favorite clips from episodes of The Tim Ferriss Show.
You can view this episode as a buffet, and I strongly suggest that you check out the shows included. If you like my podcast, you will very likely enjoy the featured shows in this episode.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform.
Brought to you by LinkedIn Marketing Solutions marketing platform with 800M+ users, Athletic Greens all-in-one nutritional supplement, and Allform premium, modular furniture. More on all three below.
The transcript of this episode can be found here. Transcripts of all episodes can be found here.
#616: Insights from Dr. Andrew Huberman, Greg McKeown, Jocko Willink, Brené Brown, and Naval Ravikant
This episode is brought to you by LinkedIn Marketing Solutions, the go-to tool for B2B marketers and advertisers who want to drive brand awareness, generate leads, or build long-term relationships that result in real business impact.
With a community of more than 800 million professionals, LinkedIn is gigantic, but it can be hyper-specific. You have access to a diverse group of people all searching for things they need to grow professionally. LinkedIn has the marketing tools to help you target your customers with precision, right down to job title, company name, industry, etc. To redeem your free $100 LinkedIn ad credit and launch your first campaign, go to LinkedIn.com/TFS!
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could use only one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually AG1 by Athletic Greens, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my best with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
Right now, Athletic Greens is offering you their Vitamin D Liquid Formula free with your first subscription purchase—a vital nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. Visit AthleticGreens.com/Tim to claim this special offer today and receive the free Vitamin D Liquid Formula (and five free travel packs) with your first subscription purchase! That’s up to a one-year supply of Vitamin D as added value when you try their delicious and comprehensive all-in-one daily greens product.
This episode is brought to you by Allform! If you’ve been listening to the podcast for a while, you’ve probably heard me talk about Helix Sleep mattresses, which I’ve been using since 2017. They also launched a company called Allform that makes premium, customizable sofas and chairs shipped right to your door—at a fraction of the cost of traditional stores. You can pick your fabric (and they’re all spill, stain, and scratch resistant), the sofa color, the color of the legs, and the sofa size and shape to make sure it’s perfect for you and your home.
Allform arrives in just 3–7 days, and you can assemble it yourself in a few minutes—no tools needed. To find your perfect sofa and receive 20% off all orders, check out Allform.com/Tim.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Want to hear the first Insights episode? Listen here for nuggets of wisdom with Sam Harris, Dr. Peter Attia, Ramit Sethi, and Elizabeth Gilbert about how mindfulness changes the brain, the location of consciousness, what it would take to ensure that nobody ever dies of colon cancer again, training for grip strength, frugal versus cheap, how the scaffolding that supports our success can help us architect our own demise, staying true to one’s inner compass, saying “no” without remorse, and much more.
#599: New Insights from Sam Harris, Dr. Peter Attia, Ramit Sethi, and Elizabeth Gilbert
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
Connect with Dr. Andrew Huberman:
The Huberman Lab Podcast | Website | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram
Dr. Andrew Huberman’s Past Appearance:
Connect with Greg McKeown:
The Greg McKeown Podcast | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
Greg McKeown’s Past Appearances:
Connect with Jocko Willink:
Jocko Podcast | Echelon Front | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
Jocko Willink’s Past Appearances:
Connect with Brené Brown:
Dare to Lead Podcast | Unlocking Us Podcast | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn
Brené Brown’s Past Appearances:
Connect with Naval Ravikant:
Naval Podcast | AngelList | Website | Twitter
Naval Ravikant’s Past Appearances:
- Chris Dixon and Naval Ravikant — The Wonders of Web3, How to Pick the Right Hill to Climb, Finding the Right Amount of Crypto Regulation, Friends with Benefits, and the Untapped Potential of NFTs | The Tim Ferriss Show #542
- Vitalik Buterin, Creator of Ethereum, on Understanding Ethereum, ETH vs. BTC, ETH2, Scaling Plans and Timelines, NFTs, Future Considerations, Life Extension, and More (Featuring Naval Ravikant) | The Tim Ferriss Show #504
- Naval Ravikant on Happiness, Reducing Anxiety, Crypto Stablecoins, and Crypto Strategy | The Tim Ferriss Show #473
- Naval Ravikant on Happiness Hacks and the 5 Chimps Theory | The Tim Ferriss Show #136
- Naval Ravikant — The Person I Call Most for Startup Advice | The Tim Ferriss Show #97
- How to Get Rich (Without Getting Lucky) | Naval, Twitter
- Henry Shukman — Zen, Tools for Awakening, Ayahuasca vs. Meditation, Intro to Koans, and Using Wounds as the Doorway | The Tim Ferriss Show #531
- “Understand That Ethical Wealth Creation Is Possible. If You Secretly Despise Wealth, It Will Elude You.” | Naval, Twitter
- “You’re Not Going to Get Rich Renting Out Your Time. You Must Own Equity, a Piece of a Business, to Gain Your Financial Freedom.” | Naval, Twitter
- Why You Should Learn to Code Even if You’re Not an Engineer | The Muse
- [06:34] Who is Dr. Andrew Huberman?
- [09:22] Dopamine is the universal currency of foraging and seeking.
- [12:01] The purpose and effects of dopamine fluctuation.
- [14:51] Dopamine and addiction.
- [16:15] How to tune your dopamine system for discipline and motivation.
- [26:05] Who is Greg McKeown?
- [26:36] What is Essentialism?
- [27:44] How to accelerate your understanding of Essentialism.
- [28:10] The catalyst event that drove Greg toward Essentialism.
- [29:38] If you don’t prioritize your life, someone else will.
- [30:32] WIN: What’s Important Now?
- [30:49] The disciplined pursuit of less and starting a “said ‘no’ to” list.
- [33:16] Facing trade-offs.
- [36:50] Creating an essential intent: verb, population, outcome, date.
- [39:39] Finding flow through the genius of routine.
- [46:57] Who is Jocko Willink?
- [47:57] An unexpected problem is just the opportunity to figure out a solution.
- [50:14] Who is Brené Brown?
- [50:46] Reconciling self-acceptance with the urge to achieve and improve.
- [52:23[ Can there be such a thing as self-aware complacency?
- [1:04:10] The crux skill that underlies all others.
- [1:06:07] Is narcissism just the shame-based fear of being ordinary?
- [1:09:22] How heavy is your pathological armor?
- [1:10:23] Who is Naval Ravikant?
- [1:11:12] How to get rich (without getting lucky — or being unethical).
Related and Recommended
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 800 million downloads. It has been selected for “Best of Apple Podcasts” three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it’s been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.